Tuesday, July 27, 2021

Lake Michigan Road Trip Pt 2: Day 2

Day 2

Start: Algoma, WI
Finish: Oconto, WI
Miles: 118
States: Wisconsin

As previously mentioned, I woke up at 5:15a to check out the sunrise but a storm was on the way through. It sure looked good at 8a though.
 

After a healthy breakfast of prepackaged muffins and cinnamon rolls, I was on my way to the first stop at Whitefish Dunes State Park. This was a small park and it was being used to launch kayaks to tour the caves at the next door county park. I spent about 30 minutes here walking the beach and cooling my ankles off in the water.

Looks like a state park, huh?

A good 3 minute drive later brought me to Cave Point County Park. This was a cool little place with a lot of foot traffic. Views of the caves were about 100 yards from the parking lot and more than a few people were jumping about 10 ft from cliffs into the water.

Kayakers in the distance. Suckers paid to work for the same view.

I like to find hidden gems and this next place definitely seemed like one when you compare the view to how many people were there. I'm talking about a little place you've never heard of called Ellison Bluff State Natural Area. I was told that the best thing about Washington Island was the ferry ride so I made my way here instead. There were also an ass ton of cherry trees up in this area too.

Cool little drive on the way in.

Oh look, they left a tree in the middle of the road. How quaint!

Picture doesn't do the view justice.

Heading back south, I HAD to make a stop at Door County Ice Cream Factory. Give me a scoop each of Oreo and Death's Door Chocolate in a waffle cone any day.

Took me a good 15 minutes to knock this out.

On recommendation, I drove by Al Johnson's Swedish Restaurant to check out the goats on the roof. Yes, you heard that correctly and apparently the struggle to allow them up there made it all the way to the supreme court recently. Unfortunately they were not up there when I drove by but here is a pic from google. It's hard to see here but the roofs are all sod.

Goats!
 

Peninsula State Park was next on the list and I believe it's the most visited park in Door County. First stop here was a quick climb up some stairs to the top of Eagle Tower.


The tower is kind of an eyesore but it gives you this view.

Along the water front below the tower runs the Eagle Trail and I gave that a hike for around an hour to enjoy the good parts as seen below. 

Taking a rock to the dome from up there and it is night-night.

Some mini caves.

It wasn't too warm out but this hike got me a little sweaty from the humidity so I made my way over to Nicolet Beach and made it into Lake Michigan for the 3rd time in 2 days. You'd swear that water could cure cancer the way that jolt of cold hits and rejuvenates you each time. 

That was basically it for the day other than driving around Green Bay (the body of water) to Oconto where I was staying. On the way though, I had some bowel movements coming but lucky me, I happened to be driving by the largest toilet bowl in North America.

If I sent you something on Snapchat around this time, you definitely got a few choice words, descriptions, and gestures from me. Lolololol.

DEEEETROIIIIIIITTTTT! WE COMING FOR THOSE KNEE CAPS 9/20!!!!

Upcoming: Peshtigo Fire Museum, Marinette Logging Museum, and maybe some gambling??

No comments:

Post a Comment