Sunday, June 9, 2019

West Coast Road Trip: Days 6, 7 & Beyond

Days 6-7:

Start: Federal Way, WA
Finish: Olympia, WA but kept driving
Miles: 420
States: WA

After spending way too many hours on google maps, my favorite part of the trip finally arrived. The first stop was the Dungeness National Wildlife Refuge. I was hoping to see a seal or something but instead saw a ton of birds and one of the world's longest sand spits. That's basically just a strip of land made of sand. There was also a lighthouse at the end, some 5-6 miles out there. I made it about a mile down before turning around.


Also saw a deer chilling on the slopes.


The Ediz Hook Reservation for Native Birds was next. This was basically another strip of land out into the ocean (or Strait of Juan de Fuca) but you could actually drive out on and check out the views/wildlife.


At the very end there was a Coast Guard station. This place was actually where Ashton Kutcher become a Coast Guard legend and where Kevin Costner was stationed when he died. Or maybe not.


Another quick climb up a mountain range led us to the Hurricane Ridge Visitor Center where I had planned on hiking the Hurricane Hill Trail. Zero visibility, a 36 degree temp, snow, and an "active" bear and cubs put a hold on that. Here is the only picture I even attempted to take up there.


That was the end of the first day and we ended up staying in a little fishing village right on the coast called Sekiu.

The next day started with a quick stop at the general store in Neah Bay to get a parking permit for the days activities as the majority of the NW tip of Washington falls in the Makah Indian Reservation. If there are 2 places to visit in WA with incredible views, I would recommend Cape Flattery and Shi Shi Beach. We'll get to the latter in a bit but I'll just let the pics show you Cape Flattery and let it be known that they do not do the scenery justice.




A quick climb down to get a better view of the ocean.











After those views, it was on to Shi Shi Beach. A 1.7 mile hike led to the beach where it was another 1.5 optional miles down the beach to the Point of Arches which I ended up making. When I made it to the beach, it was overcast and gloomy but by the time I was making my way back from the Arches, it had cleared up and lived up to the beauty I've read about. Again, I'll let the pictures do the talking.



The beginning with the arches in the distance.



I left my shoes here so I didn't have to carry them. Poor decision.

An arch. 

Time to head back.

The tide came in and move my shoes 10 yards down the beach. Beats out in the ocean I suppose.

Enjoying the views before I left.

New Tinder pic??? Lookin like Forrest Gump/Stanley Yelnats
The last stop on the Olympic National Park/NW tour was the Hoh Rain Forest. I don't think I've ever seen something so green and I suppose getting 3 inches of rain every day helps. Not too many pictures from here either as it was actually raining the whole time but everything looked like this.

 

This is where the story ends though. Unless some crazy stuff happens on the way home, this will be the last post and I hope you've enjoyed at least some of it. Thanks for ready and until I think of my next adventure, I'm out!

Update: we ended up getting snowed on near Bozeman, MT and it immediately led to 2 different 4 car pileups and came across a couple other spin offs. It's nice to know that it's not just Madison drivers that suck when a few flakes come down!

No comments:

Post a Comment