Thursday, August 6, 2020

Lake Michigan Road Trip: Day 1

Day 1

Start: Madison, WI
Finish: Valparaiso, IN
Miles: 207
States: WI, IL, IN

Oh hey, looky here. Eric has a bunch of vacation time to blow so it's off on another road trip. You probably didn't know because I didn't "write" about it but I took a little trip to Florida back in February so I'll give you a quick recap of that to get things rolling.

Got a dirt cheap flight because I flew into Tampa at 10p, slept in a Walmart parking lot the first night, drove up the west coast of Florida to Cedar Key, drove east across the state to the coast and started making my way south, stayed at my first Airbnb, missed out on a SpaceX launch because of weather, visited the Kennedy Space Center, enjoyed some beach time, spent a day in the tourist trap that is Key West, kayaked by an alligator or two in the Everglades (unfortunately didn't see any panthers or pythons), saw a million acres of fruits and vegetables though, went to the Tampa aquarium, finally saw the newest Star Wars, ate some Culvers (yes, Culvers), then flew home!

I would show a few more pictures but I really didn't take any which apparently annoyed my mom. To quote George Clooney from Up In The Air, "Photos are for people who can't remember."

Cedar Key, FL. Could have spent the whole trip here.

Back to the task at hand, the first day was nothing but driving from Madison to Indiana after work. I was using the 'avoid tolls' option on Google Maps but I missed an exit and ended up going through one in shitty Illinois. The cash lanes had Corona so I had to go online and pay those FIBs $3.80 after the fact. F'n FIBs. Nothing else exciting happened on the way other than seeing SOOOO many people doing 90+ in 55 mph zones. Brought back memories of watching my Cuz Paul Walker in Fast and Furious 1-6. RIP my guy. One final thing to note is that when I crossed into Indiana, I gave a very enthusiastic "fuck you Mike Pence" to nobody in particular. It made me laugh.



I'm going to try and stick with posting about this trip but don't freak out if it's not daily as I expect da U-P to be stingy with their wifi.

Note: if you see any grammatical errors, keep them to yourselves.

Upcoming: Indiana Dunes State Park, driving up the coast, touring a submarine, and more!

No comments:

Post a Comment